I’m not sure what exactly lead me to this train of thought (it was midnight when I was thinking about this) because once I got here I didn’t think of anything before that. I only thought, how did I not see this sooner?! *face palm*
Disclaimer- in my defense, I didn’t know anything about the ACOTAR series prior to picking up the books (I hadn’t even heard of Sarah but I am glad I do now!)
I am fairly certain that all of you die hard Sarah J. Maas and A Court of Thorns and Roses (ACOTAR) fans already knew this BUT for those, like me, who didn’t… ACOTAR stared off as a Beauty and the Beast retelling! (ok fangirls/boys you can stop laughing at me now)
“I asked myself ‘What if Beauty was a huntress? And what if the Beast was a shape-shifting faerie lord?'” she says. “I’ve been obsessed with fairytales my entire life, so it’s no surprise that this book started off as a retelling.” – Sarah J. Maas
*Spoilers Ahead if you haven’t read ACOTAR*
Even before the confirmation from Sarah, you have to look at the parallels.
1) Feyre is forced to exchange places and live in Tamlin’s court as punishment for killing Andras, a life for a life. Belle exchanges her freedom and agrees to take Maurice’s place (who is being punished for trespassing) living with Beast.
2) Tamlin’s fairy ability is to turn into a beast. Prince Adam was turned into a beast.
3) Both Adam and Tamlin have the curse on them, and their courts, that they shall remain “beastly” (Adam in the beast form and Tamlin in his masquerade mask) until someone who hates them can learn to love and therefore break the curse.
4) Belle and Feyre go through the same sort of scenarios. Closet full of beautiful clothes (that miraculously fit perfect), dining room full of delicious food. (double check on Feyre’s ability to see the servants at the Spring Court – hidden in plain sight like beast’s servants ex: candle stick)
5) Both Tamlin and Adam (not to mention their courts) work very hard in their belief that Feyre/Belle is the one they have been waiting for
6) Both stories have distinct, do not pass go and do not collect $200 deadlines. BATB – Last Petal of the Rose falling (10 years in case you were curious), ACOTAR – 49 years (odd number I must say. Anyone know the reason behind that?)
Like I said, I don’t know why I didn’t see this before, it’s even right in the name. Argh! Please tell me I am not the only fool on the planet?L
Any other parallels, farfetched or otherwise? Let me know in the comments! Also, again not having done research prior, any parallels with fairy tales for A Court of Mist and Fury (ACOMAF)?
P.S. This isn’t the first time, nor will it be the last, that I have come to some earth-shattering conclusion (especially late at night) … only to find that I’m the ONLY ONE that didn’t k now. Warning: I don’t research the crap out of things like some people do, *ahem* my husband (but maybe I should start). This may, however, be the only time I post my foolishness on the internet! 😉